Sunday, May 5, 2013

Discipline


I never plan on using strict disciplinary action. If a child is having an especially bad day or needs a break (we all have rough days every once in a while), I will ask that child to sit on a chair for a few minutes, until he/she feels ready to participate again. I have found that often times a problem can be solved by simply averting attention to something else or reminding a child of expected behavior and practicing better ways to handle frustrations.

  I believe strongly in reinforcing positive behavior and spending little time or attention on negative behavior. The most common behavioral problem with children this age is being unkind. Kindness is one of the most important values taught in preschool, and when it’s taught as a responsibility, it becomes a wonderful self-esteem booster as well. I plan to use a variety of learning styles to keep children well engaged, preventing most discipline issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment